Note: For state law regulating budget procedure in cities, see VACS arts. 689a-13 to 689a-16.
For state law relating to levying and collecting ad valorem taxes by cities, see VACS arts. 1026 et seq.
Article 1. Ad Valorem Taxes:
When Due; Penalty for Late Payment
Section 5-1. When due; penalty for late payment.
(a) The ad valorem taxes hereafter levied by the governing body of the City of White Deer, Texas, each year shall become due on the first day of October of the year for which the levy is made and may be paid up to and including the following January 31st, without penalty; but, if not so paid, such taxes shall become delinquent on the following day, February 1st, and the following penalty shall be payable thereon, to-wit: If paid during the month of February, one percent (1%); during the month of March, two percent (2%); April, three percent (3%); May, four percent (4%); June, five percent (5%); and on and after the first day of July, eight percent (8%). Such unpaid taxes shall bear interest at the rate of six percent (6%) per annum from February 1st of the year next succeeding the year for which such taxes were levied or assessed. (Ordinance of 2-6-40, § 1.)
(b) An additional fifteen percent (15%) penalties to defray costs of collection of delinquent taxes as authorized by Texas Tax Code, /Section 33.07 and 33.08 for the current year and each succeeding year thereafter.
Section 5-2. Municipal Court Security Fund.
(a) Fund Created: There is hereby created a municipal court building security fund. This fund shall be administered under the direction of the governing body of the City of White Deer.
(b) Fee Assessed: All defendants convicted of a misdemeanor offense in municipal court shall be required to pay a three-dollar ($3.00) security fee as a cost of court. A person is considered convicted for the purposes of this code if a sentence is imposed on the person, the person receives community supervision, including deferred adjudication, or the person enters a plea and enters a court authorized dismissal program. The security fee shall be collected by the municipal court clerk and paid to the City treasurer for deposit in the municipal court building security fund.
(c) Fund Purposes: The municipal court building security fund may be used only to finance the following items when used for the purpose of providing security services for any buildings housing the municipal court of the City of White Deer:
- The purchase or repair of x-ray machines and conveying system;
- Hand-held metal detectors;
- Walk-through metal detectors;
- Identifications cards and systems;
- Electronic locking and surveillance equipment;
- Bailiffs, deputy sheriffs, deputy constables, or contract security personnel during times when they are providing appropriate security services;
- Confiscated weapon inventory and tracking systems;
- Locks, chains, or other security hardware; or
- Continuing education on security issues for court personnel and security personnel.
(d) Any person, firm, corporation, agent or employee thereof who violates any of the provision of this code shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction of such offense, the person, persons or company so convicted shall be fined an amount not to exceed the maximum amounts as established by State Law for each offense. Each day that a violation is permitted to exist shall constitute a separate offense.
Section 5-3. Municipal Technology Fund.
(a) Establishment of Municipal Court Technology Fund
- There is hereby created and established a Municipal court Technology Fund, here-in-now known as the Fund, pursuant to Article 102.0172 of the Code of Criminal Procedure.
- The Fund may be maintained in an interest bearing account and may be maintained in the general revenue account.
(b) Establishment of Amount of the Fee and Assessment and Collection
- The fee shall be in the amount of Four (4) Dollars.
- The fee shall be assessed and collected from the defendant upon conviction for a misdemeanor offense in the Municipal Court as a cost of court. A defendant is considered convicted if:
- A sentence is imposed on the person;
- The person is placed on community supervision, including deferred adjudication community supervision; or
- The court defers final disposition of the person’s case.
(c) The fee shall be collected on conviction for an offense committed on or after December 1, 2005.
(d) The clerk of the court shall collect the fee and pay the fee to the municipal treasurer of the City of White Deer, who shall deposit the fee into the Municipal Court Technology Fund.
(e) Designated Use of the Fund and Administration
- The Fund shall be used only to finance the purchase of technology enhancements for the Municipal Court of the City of White Deer, Texas, including:
- Computer systems;
- Computer networks;
- Computer hardware;
- Computer software;
- Imaging systems;
- Electronic kiosks;
- Electronic ticket writers; or
- Docket management systems
(f) The Fund shall be administered by or under the direction of the governing body of the City of White Deer, Texas.
(g) Any person, firm, corporation, agent or employee thereof who violates any of the provision of this code shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction thereof shall be fined an amount not to exceed the maximum amounts as established by State Law. Each day that a violation is permitted to exist shall constitute a separate offense. (Ordinance 14-84 September 8, 2003.)